Friday, February 19, 2010

Upcycling a Thrift Store Find

I could not resist when I saw this fabric hanging on the 99 cent rack at Goodwill... then I picked it up and it was not cute. A very boxy, 80's style, shoulder pad bearing , no shape jacket was staring me in the eye as if to say..."take me home Kate, take me home and fix me please." So I did.

First things first. I undid the seam on the inside of the jacket to get to the shoulder pads.
They were easy to take out, only three stitches.



After sewing that wound, I took in the sides. I only took the jacket in about two inches on each side, but only from the sleeve to about half way down.


Then to bring in the back I simply folded in two pleats and added the top button from the front of the jacket and the extra that came with it.


I folded out the front of the jacket to make a collar and used two more of the jackets buttons as an accent.


I know this is picture-heavy, but I wanted to show off the process to show how easy it was to do. I hope this inspires you to hit up your local thrift store- just because something is not pretty yet, doesn't mean it has no potential!

Still Crafting......
Kate

1 comment:

  1. ah! that jacket went from 80's-hell-on-a-hanger to look-like-a-ten-in-2010! nice work, my crafty cousin!

    ReplyDelete